Foyer of Main House
Front Porch of Main House




 

About Woodland Plantation

Built in 1834, Woodland Plantation is the legacy of William Johnson, the first American chief river pilot and prosperous sugar baron. This was a time when sugar can flourished as the new "white gold." Over the years Woodland withstood the torment of several hurricanes and saw many changes, including serving as a haven for bootleggers during prohibition.

Completely restored, Woodland stands today as the only remaining plantation homes in the Delta on the west bank of the Mississippi River.

The Big House, featured on all bottles of Southern Comfort, is a raised Creole cottage with Greek Revival features, broad porches front and back, key hole designed French doors and is authentically furnished with fine antiques. Click here to view a virtual tour of the foyer.

The Mississippi River levee and batture fronting Woodland provide visitors intimate views of river traffic, and miles to jog, bike, etc. This Riparian Batture along with the Alluvial Meadow and levee, shrub swamp (Le Petit Merais) and Bottomland Hardwood Forest are four distinct natural habitats that occur at Woodland Plantations 50+acres.

These natural habitats which contain a wide diversity of Flora and Wildlife provide as powerful an allure as that of its cultural heritage. On Woodland Plantation stands one of the oldest cypress trees in Louisiana. It has been named Louisiana Purchase Cypress Legacy #4, September 2003.

Woodland Plantation is partner attraction of America's Wetland campaign to save coastal Louisiana. America's Wetland, a valuable landscape extending along Louisiana's coast, is disappearing at a rate of 25 square miles per year. As it disappears, an area of world ecological significance and strategic importance to our national economic and energy security is at risk. Go to www.americaswetland.com to learn more.